Friday, August 2, 2013

When Children Give Birth to Children

When Children Give Birth to Children
According to the 2011 Nepal Demographic and Health Survey (NDHS), 17 percent of married adolescent girls between 15 and 19 years are either pregnant or are mothers already. In fact, research shows that adolescent mothers give birth to 81 out of every …
Read more

Agness Kalekeni (Malawi)

Anaemia in pregnancy

Image by The White Ribbon Alliance for Safe Motherhood
My name is Agness Kalekeni. I come from Nkulumimba village, T/A Kayembe in Dowa district. This was my third pregnancy where I experienced some problems. I delivered my first baby normally, but I lost the child. The baby did not last a day before he died. The second one also died a week after birth. I faced many problems during my third pregnancy. I received antenatal care from the Kayembe Health Center and was told that I was carrying twins. During the eighth month of my pregnancy, I lost some weight and was diagnosed with anemia. I also experienced some swelling.

Keeping the above in mind, I went to the Kayembe Health Center when I began labor, only to learn that the nurse had been transferred to Zomba, where her husband was working. My relatives insisted that I be referred to the next health center. I was referred to the Mbingwa Health Center on November 29, 2009. The doctors there referred me to the Madisi Parish Hospital. When I was moved to the maternity ward, I was exhausted and could not even move my body. I was given an Ultrasound scan and told that one of my babies was not well positioned and that I would require surgery. I was sent to the operation theater, where I successfully delivered twins (Lefati and Laineti) by way of Cesarean Section. I am very happy I was saved by this procedure, as I would have otherwise died.

If I were the Queen or a Member of Parliament, I would take the initiative to build a central maternity hospital here in Dowa, where women can receive assistance in all aspects of maternal health. There should be also some nurses to take care of the women, for this is the biggest challenge here. Nurses do come, but they do not stay for long. Additionally, I would take the initiative to ensure that every village had an ambulance bicycle for referral cases. I wish that all women would come to the health center when they are about to deliver, in order to avoid being rushed. As you see, transport is a challenge here.

From Kasalika Community Development Organization of Malawi


Maybe you do not know